7,500 Rallies Nationwide Aim to Make Afterschool Programs Available to All
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeastern Pennsylvania’s After School program will sponsor a Lights On Afterschool event on Thursday, October 22 at 5:00 p.m. It will be one of more than 7,500 such events around the nation that day.
Participants in the Lights On Afterschool include Club members, staff, board of directors, government officials, local business leaders, educators and other officials. The event will highlight three of the significant contributions that after school programs make to this area: keeping kids safe and healthy, inspiring them to learn, and relieving working parents of worries about their children’s activities during the afternoon hours. Dozens of parents, supporters and community members are expected to attend. The Club is also promoting a “Bring Your Parent to The Club Night” for Club members.
- Who: Boys & Girls Clubs of NEPA
- What: Lights On After School
- When: 5 p.m., October 22, 2009
- Where: central Club located at 609 Ash Street in Scranton
- Why: Speakers will call for expanding afterschool opportunities so that every child who needs a program has access to one. Lackawanna County Commissioner Michael Washo will present a proclamation.
Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in activities with Club members. For more information, go to www.bgcnepa.org or call (570) 342-8709.
*** Your presence is requested. Photo and interview opportunities will be available.